Daniel King's Blog

Saturday 1 August 2009

Cultural Olympiad Weekend - 24/25/26 July 2009

Although still not quite back into full training, the weekend was action packed!
Rising to the Challenge - Open Launch Weekend
On Friday morning I attended the NRE (Nations & Regions East) Open Weekend Launch at Homerton College, Cambridge. http://www.risingtothechallengeeast.co.uk/ to give a talk on the Team Essex Ambassador Role and the benefits the scheme brings to athlete's. It was also an opportunity to inform people of all the work myself and other Ambassador's have done with local schools and communities.

Due to a prior commitment (friend's wedding) I had to pass on the opportunity of putting delegates through their paces in a technical racewalking demonstration / workshop. It was great to be invited to attend the event and be a real part of the celebrations of what the East of England are doing in celebrating the arrival of the 2012 Games.
Bett's Wedding


I was pleased to be able to attend my friends wedding - although I only just made it having travelled direct from the talk at the NRE in Cambridge. Fortunately the heavy downpour of rain not only delayed my arrival but also held up the bridal party.
The day turned out to be perfect and the venue was fantastic.
Although training and competing at an elite level requires a lot of hardwork and dedication, it is important for athlete's to be able to chill out and relax every now and again!

Back to Training - At last!!
Following a late night - partly due to being kept up half the night from TWO eight week old kittens, I was pleased to be able to get out and do a decent training session, both in terms of volume and quality. One of the big benefits of returning back to Colchester and receiving support through the Ambassador Scheme has been the ability to be able to start to build a decent support team locally. One person who is very much a part of this team is my physio / masseur Steve, who along with Dom, I now see on a regular basis (twice a week).

The benefits in seeing Steve on a regular basis mean I can have complete confidence in returning to training, knowing that if there are any problems, these can be addressed almost immediately. I have also been doing some specific technical work with an expert (experienced physiotherapist)and former race walker based in South London (Raphael Rinaldi).

This has been great for us (Dom, myself and coach Andi) to get another persons perspetive of our technique at present and areas that need to be addressed. Like many athlete's an area in particular need of attention is my core strength. Through a structured S&C (strength and conditioning) programme I am confident of returning to racing not only fitter but stronger!!

Xtremefest 2009 -Felixstowe






On Sunday, I attended Xtremefest in my role as Assistant Organiser of the event. As many of you will be aware, although being ranked No.1 in the UK and training to be at the 2012 Olympics, I still need to work in order to fund my lifestyle. That said, I enjoy the work I do and actually feel that the two (working & training) compliment each other. I have found throughout my studies at University and early employment that I am more productive (training & work) when I am busy and having to fit things in a tight schedule, rather than having lots of time on my hands!!



I was pleased to see that the event was recognised by the 2012 Committee and therefore included as one of the East Regions events as part of the Open Weekend (see above). The event is in it's third year and an estimated 4,000 people attended the free event. Through my role as Arts & Sports Development Officer for Suffolk Coastal District Council (SCDC), I was particularly pleased to see the event include a mix of 'Xtreme' sports, arts and music.
Through my work at SCDC I am also involved with Soundwaves (www.myspace.com/suffolksoundwaves), a group set up to allow Young People / Bands from the Suffolk Coastal Area the opportunity to showcase their talent.
Xtremefest was one of many events happening around the country during the weekend as part of the Cultural Olympiad Weekend. I was pleased to be part of it and look forward to working on future projects in helping promote sport and physical activity throughout the community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home